Indoor Air Quality
Indoor Air Quality is among the top five environmental health risks to the population according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Harmful particles in homes include dust mites, pet dander,
spores and pollen, all of which can incite allergic reactions in many people. Some allergic reactions are severe, such as asthma; while other reactions can be more subtle like runny nose, watery eyes, headaches, lethargy, and even snoring.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are another worry. VOCs are gases released into the air from cleaning solutions, carpets, building materials, and chemicals found in the home. Formaldehyde is widely used and can cause itching of the eyes, ears and throat.
Signs of Potential Indoor Air Quality Problems:
• Lack of air movement (stale or stuffy)
• Visible presence of mold or mildew
• Noticeable and unusual odors
• Excessive humidity
• Feeling more energetic and healthier outside home
• Faulty or dirty air conditioning equipment
• Damaged flue pipes or chimneys
• Un-vented combustion air sources for fossil fuel appliances
• Tightly constructed or remodeled homes
• Health reaction after remodeling, weatherizing, using
new furniture,use of household or hobby products, or moving into a new home
Ways you can Improve Indoor Air Quality in your home!
• Indoor relative humidity should be kept between 40-60% for optimal air quality
• High humidity breeds mold, mildew and dust mites
• Improve a humidity problem in your home with these
o Variable Speed Air Handler
FILTER & PURIFY YOUR INSIDE AIR:
• Standard disposable 1” filters trap less than 5% of the particles in the air—so, choose a higher grade filter
• Higher efficiency pleated filtes trap up to 70% of particles
• Electronic Air Cleaners trap up to 90% of particles
• Ultraviolet lights (UV) located inside the air handler equipment kill living micro-organisms like mold, bacteria and viruses—UV Lights are highly recommended
REFRESH YOUR AIR THROUGH PROPER VENTILATION
• New homes are built tight which is good for energy efficiency, but unfortunately traps particles, gases and odors inside
• Filters trap only particulates
• Duct cleaning and source removal will clean the particulates in your ventilation system
• Duct repair will stop the cool air from escaping and reduce the infiltration of dust, humidity and outdoor fumes and odors
Click here for more information on types of filters!
Do you suffer from allergies? Click Here for Help.